Tales From the Yorkside
Author: Jim Morgan and Charles Wright
Exciting Time of Year at The York!
Quite a time at the York Theatre Company.
- Of course, we just finished a triumphant #MusicalsinMuftiSeries—#StartingHereStartingNow and #Don’tBotherMeICan’tCope.
- Last week, a special condensed presentation of @JoshuaRosenblum’s hip, jazzy new Watergate-Noir musical, Mark Felt, Superstar. Directed by @AnnetteJolles at a beautiful East Side townhouse, it raised interest—and funds—for the show’s future.
- This week brought in the cast of a revised version @FrankWildhorn’s Wonderland from @MarymountManhattanCollege, in the final stages of rehearsal with performances next week. They, and the show, sound incredible. In a Guiness-worthy (Book, not Ale) instance, both director @EmilyClark and MD @ChristineRiley are well along in their respective pregnancies.
- Tuesday afternoon was the culminative (new word, perhaps?) single performance of a 39-hour closed exploratory reading of Nancy Ford and Mimi Turque’s Glass Menagerie musical, now called Poems on a Shoebox. It was directed by @AustinPendleton (with Nancy Md-ing) and a stunning cast: @RandyGraff, @PiperGoodeve, @HowardMcGillin and @JeffKready. We have been involved with the musical since sponsoring its first reading over 4 years ago, and I have never been more convinced of this show’s potential. The lucky 12 audience members were blown away.
- And this is all as we celebrated the opening performance of our #CagneyTheMusical at the Westside Theatre yesterday afternoon. (Directed by @BillCastellino, with choreography by @JoshBergasse, the show is written by @RobertCreighton, @ChristopherMcGovern and @PeterColley; same brilliant York cast). The week began with a full-page Cagney ad in the New York Times magazine, as well as one in New York Magazine—with the TV commercial in constant rotation, ads appearing all over town, and tickets flying out of the box office on West 43rd (Thank you, producer Riki Kane Larimer).
Much to be thankful for — great staff, wonderful board and supporters, and so much to celebrate! Wow.